Grant Guidelines & Funding Eligibility
Thank you for your interest in learning about the Frey Foundation. We strive to make our grant inquiry and application process as open and clear as possible. We recommend you start by reviewing our grant guidelines (226 KB, PDF) to help you determine if your project fits with the Frey Foundation’s eligibility requirements and funding priorities.
Before submitting an inquiry, please ask yourself if your organization meets the following requirements:
- Has a current 501(c)(3) nonprofit designation from the Internal Revenue Service, is a governmental unit or other tax exempt entity
- Serves communities primarily in Kent, Emmet or Charlevoix Counties or the broader West/Northern Michigan Region
- Addresses one or more of our grantmaking priorities (detailed in our grant guidelines (226 KB, PDF))
- Intend to pursue a variety of funding sources for the program or project in order to demonstrate sustainability. (Note: Grant requests should generally not exceed 15% of a total program budget or 5% of a capital project budget.)
We will not likely consider funding the following:
- Conferences or event sponsorship
- General operating expenses
- Requests from faith-based organizations that require participants to practice or adhere to specific religious beliefs
- Requests from individuals or organizations proposing activities that are taxable
- Organizations that do not demonstrate inclusive practices in board recruitment, hiring and delivery of service
How to Apply
If, after reviewing our grant guidelines, you believe your project aligns with our requirements and funding priorities, we invite you to submit a brief inquiry using our online system. Your inquiry will be reviewed by foundation staff, and you may be contacted for additional information.
You are also welcome to call the Foundation to discuss your project or program and to ask questions about our grantmaking process. Our staff is here to help and can be reached Monday – Friday from 8:30AM – 5:00PM by calling (616) 451-0303.